Thursday, September 11, 2014

English 372: Frankenstein Blog Post: Team WHY

In class we have been reading the book Frankenstein, and the three main words that stand out to me when thinking about how to describe this novel are as followed: science, human and emotions. I chose these three words because they each describe key components and themes that occur throughout. Starting off with the word science; science is the whole reason why this post is even relevant. Dr. Frankenstein along with his pride created a specimen that even he could not believe. The development of science and modern technology had just reached a new level. Another component to this word that is crucial is that Dr. Frankenstein starts to believe he did more than just science; he played god and created a harmful creature. I don’t blame Dr. Frankenstein one bit, anybody with the brain power he has would test the limits to see how far they could go as well. He just happened to be the one in taking science to a level no eyes could believe that they are seeing. Next, the word human is another vital theme. The debate continues on whether or not the beast of creation is human or not. It is no simple matter to debate over because the argument can be easily swayed off of the fact that Frankenstein was made artificially. Yet, what artificial creation has the thoughts, feelings and most of all emotions of a human. This fact alone is what makes the debate get heated. Frankenstein after watching the family for some time starts to build a bond with them and realizes that if he had somebody with him that he could be happy in a world he is not wanted in. Now if anybody can name another artificially created creature with the human attributes that Frankenstein possess’ I would like to be notified? However, in all honest opinion I do believe that Frankenstein is non-human because it never states he has the ability to reproduce and most of all that he does not have a soul. All humans have souls correct? The last word I would like to bring up for this discussion is emotions. This book throughout has so many emotions coming from not only main characters, but side as well. Dr. Frankenstein has an emotional roller coaster in his head going from self-pride of his creation to fear of what he has created to lastly guilt for what the beast has done. Then you have the beast himself who starts gaining feelings and emotions towards human objects, people and scenery. It’s crazy how three words can describe such a famous piece of writing, shout out goes to the author for staying consistent with the themes and novel objectives.   

2 comments:

  1. I'm Spencer and I'm commenting for RESINK (Ryan, Everett and myself). I really appreciate your choice of three words. I would have to agree with you that the three words, science, human, and nature, are great words to describe this book. I think it is interesting that you pointed out that you don’t blame Dr. Frankenstein for creating the creature and I even have to agree with you to an extent. I agree that if I had that brain power I would want to push myself to the limits, but I also think that Dr. Frankenstein has a serious case of little man syndrome in that I would assume he was bullied as a kid and his way of proving all of his bullies wrong was to create life. I also think you posed some great arguments as to why the words human and nature helped to describe the book. I would agree that those two words are equally as important as science when talking about this novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting questions and discussion of the three words. Your post brings up another issue: what constitutes a soul, if it's not feelings and the ability to refrain from killing others?

    ReplyDelete