Monday, February 10, 2014

Week #4 Blog Post: Joshua Zaborowski

For this week’s blog post I would like to practice and use all three of the patterns for the week. The reason which I am doing this is; is because my writing could use all of the patterns possible to make it more unique and intriguing to read. I would ultimately like to focus on the rhetorical fragment pattern due to the fact that it could put more tone or emphasis in vital sentences throughout my writings. To start off, I would like to work with the pattern of “compound sentence(s).” The example I am presenting is a sentence I just recently used for my English 339 class. Mookie kept running his mouth, and it caused him to get beat up. [Compound sentence joined with a comma+FANBOYS/Coordinating Conjunction]. To me when I wrote this sentence I didn’t even think twice about it even having a rule or pattern that it followed. However, after going over compound sentences in class it slowly makes me realize that compound sentences are a huge part of my writing; just like the sentence above. The next pattern I would like to address is using a rhetorical fragment. Now since I never really use this type of pattern in my writing I looked an example up online to analyze. I wish you would apologize for breaking my heart. Yet you never will. [Rhetorical Fragment] This example matches the example that was given in our directions; however the only difference is that in this example it is talking about another person as well, not just the speaker itself. Lastly, I would to practice using the “objective-case pronoun.” Just as the last pattern I talked about, I never have used this type of writing that much either. So instead of looking one up this time, I actually wanted to practice it and make one of my own. For this pattern I made up the following example: You want to go to the dance with whom? Or it could be reworded like this; whom would you like to go to the dance with? [Whom used in the object slot] This I believe is a good pattern to include into my writing because it adds a different writing style for my sentences. Now that I have covered the writing patterns for the week; I would now like to address my “Daily Oral Language” exercise example. My exercise was to “Conduct a sentence dictation activity.” A good example to introduce this to the class I believe would be too use a Shakespeare quote because the example from the packet states “Slowly read a sentence written by a published writer to students- then student write down what they hear and attempt to punctuate the sentence...” The quote I would use is “Where art thou now” because it’s a sentence in which students would analyze and have different opinions about. I believe a good gateway for understanding this concept.   

2 comments:

  1. Hey Buddy,

    Before I even read this I want to say you should edit this so that the reader can identify which part is which (i.e. intro, body, D.O.L).
    With this assignment, I wish you would give more of your own writing to incorporate the rules with instead of just teaching us about them. Especially with the second pattern. The fact that you do not use rhetorical fragments in your own writing is the exact reason why you should create a sentence in which you use this pattern. It will better help you later on when wanting to use it in your future papers. You did use the first and third patterns correctly, but again I think you should start creating a unique piece of work for these blogs so you can really learn the concepts better.
    For our D.O.L exercise I feel like we need a much larger quote than four words. Maybe it's just me but I feel like the class would gain better knowledge of this particular D.O.L alternative if they were to have a larger passage to work with.

    Ryan (The Other Bash Brother)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,

    I think you did well with using the patterns. I am not sure if I am doing the posts wrong or if you are. I think you are doing a great job of writing out the sentence patterns and explaining them thoroughly. I have been posting hoping that I am using them in the correct manner and waiting for someone to confirm or deny my style. I think your use of the rhetorical fragment was your strongest, the following line is a punch to the throat. I always think that truths written following a sentence are always more impactful. I think you definitely get the idea and understand the correct way to write.
    I am curious though as to the correct way to use whom. I see that you said it can be used in the object slot, so would “To whom is the author writing?” be a correct sentence? Let me know your thoughts.

    Damian (Russ Tyler-Knucklepuck)

    ReplyDelete