Tuesday, February 4, 2014

In this blogging post I will be addressing Patterns number 2 and 3: A list without the final "and" OR a list with all "ands" and no commas and use of the reflexive pronoun to refer to someone/something else in the sentence or to show emphasis. The reason in which I want to work on these patterns for the week is because for one I have never really used pattern 3 in my writing at all and it will give it a new technique to spice it up and make it better. Secondly, I’ve never formally used pattern number 2 correctly in my writing. I believe working with these patterns it will give my writing much more depth and seem more professional.
Starting with pattern number 2 here is a sentence that I have taken from English 339 class this semester: The boy was nothing more than a loser, coward, thief and most of all a disgrace to his family. [A list without the final “and” OR a list with all “ands” and no commas] Now this sentence when I was writing didn’t even cross my mind of how it could be written differently because it had been the only way in which I wrote lists. However, now looking back on it here are the two other ways to write it: The boy was nothing more than a loser and a coward and a thief and most of all a disgrace to his family. [A list without the final “and” OR a list with all “ands” and no commas] Or I could have done all commas instead of the “Ands” approach. I believe that in using these two different styles of making lists it will allow for my lists to have more emphasis and meaning because it will stand out to the audience more.

Next with pattern number 3 I took a sentence away from my Teaching and Learning 301 last semester and picked it apart. It is as followed: I see me as being a good role model for my students. [Use of the reflexive pronoun to refer to someone/something else in the sentence or to show emphasis] When the sentence should be structured as the following: I see myself as being a good role model for students. [Use of the reflexive pronoun to refer to someone/something else in the sentence or to show emphasis] After knowing how reflexive pronouns work, it has made my grammar in my writing technically correct. Learning this in class has helped a ton because now my writing can take a step in the direction to becoming even better.    

2 comments:

  1. Your pattern number 2 was perfect! I would have liked to see the other side of this pattern, I'm not sure if this is correct but I feel as if there is a power given to the last item on the list through this: "The boy was nothing more than a loser, coward, thief;most of all a disgrace to his family."Your pattern number 3 sounds much better with the correction you made, but don't forget about using the pattern for second and third person yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When reading over your pattern number 2 example, I think that the last part "and most of all a disgrace to his family." I'm not sure if this is correct, but maybe use a dash: The boy was nothing more than a loser, coward, thief -- most of all, a disgrace to his family." I say this because it seems to be the emphasis in the sentence. There needs to be something that sets this part apart from the rest. Overall, you made positive changes, and did a nice job reflecting.

    ReplyDelete